|Job Title:||Finance Trustee|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||October 18, 2019 16:50|
Emmaus Bristol is seeking a trustee with financial expertise to join their friendly and dynamic board. This new board member would support the Treasurer and deputise for them as required.
Emmaus Bristol helps people out of homelessness and poverty. We provide a home, support, training and work experience to 29 formerly homeless men and women in Bristol (known in Emmaus as Companions), as well as a family of five. We are renovating a house currently which will be home to either a family at risk of homelessness, or single homeless sharers. We plan to expand our accommodation further over the next two years in response to the growing homelessness crisis.
Emmaus Bristol works with formerly homeless and other socially excluded people so that together we can gain control of our lives, and discover our common purpose to help others in need.
We are working together towards a world where every person is valued and respected, without injustice or distinction. We believe in:
- Honesty - Being transparent and honest in all our dealings
- Solidarity - Looking outwards to support those in more need than ourselves
- Empowerment - Helping others to understand and achieve their true potential
- Sharing - Resources, skills and learning
- Supporting - Fostering and cherishing lifelong interdependence
- Working - to contribute and grow
Supporting the Treasurer to:
- Oversee the charity’s financial risk-management process and report financial health to the board of trustees at regular intervals
- Advising on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plans
- Lead in the development and implementation of financial reserves, cost management and investment policies
- Ensure all strategic plans are financially appraised and budgets are aligned to both short-term and long-term objectives each year
- Oversee planning/budgeting processes in participation with the Board and constructively challenge where required
- Suggest alternative scenarios while evaluating strategic plans as a part of the risk management process and as a part of performance and reporting scenarios
- Create greater transparency and accountability to improve resource allocation
- Liaise with Finance Manager and trustees to prepare and produce management accounts regularly
- Guide and advise fellow trustees to formally approve the annual report and audited accounts
- Explain technicalities of accounts in plain language which is fully understood by the trustees
- Safeguard the organisation’s finances
- Skills and experience in one or more areas of non-executive governance and management e.g. strategic planning, business management, financial/accountancy.
- Ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Willing to learn about charity finance
- Knowledge of charity SORP and impending changes
- We want a diverse board where all members of the community are represented and encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds
The Board meetings take place in Bristol. They last two hours and take place every two months (7-9 pm on Thursdays) Some time also required for preparing for meetings and other ad-hoc communications. The trustees are also invited to attend special events with beneficiaries and staff.
How to Apply
Applications should be made via Reach in the first instance. Please submit your CV and covering letter either through the Reach website using a guest profile, or by emailing the TrusteeWorks team.
The covering letter must state why you wish to join the organisation, what skills and experience you will bring to the board, directly addressing the person specification, and any other relevant information. For more details please see the candidate pack.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's