Spark Inside is pleased to offer a new co-optee role on our Finance Sub-committee for an experienced charity accountant.
This is an opportunity to be involved at board level in an innovative and expanding charity, without the full responsibilities of a Trustee.
Context for the appointment:
Spark Inside is at an exciting stage in its organisational development and growth; to enable this, it is undergoing a period of transition in the SMT. The Founder is moving on at the beginning of the new year to enable a new CEO to lead Spark Inside through the next stage of its growth. There will be a period of handover following the recruitment of the new CEO.
The role of Head of Finance has been replaced by a new role: Head of Finance and Resources. This role combines the responsibilities of the Head of Finance role with the responsibilities for HR and back office functions previously held by the Head of Finance and the CEO. The current Head of Finance, and an interim Head of HR, will be leaving at the end of October. The post-holder for the Head of Finance and Resources will start in the role at the end of September.
The role of the Co-optee:
Spark Inside is a vibrant and ground-breaking organisation which has attracted considerable support and interest. This role is an opportunity to be part of organisational governance and help steer the charity towards future success through robust financial planning and management.
We are seeking a fully qualified and experienced Charity Accountant to join its Finance Committee (FICO), a subcommittee of the Board of Trustees. This is a voluntary appointment though out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed.
This position has been created following a review of skills and gaps in the current FICO. The ideal candidate will have strong hands-on experience of leading and managing the finance function within a charity.
This role is initially for a three-year period, with the possibility for a further three years. The co-opted member is not a trustee position; however the member will work alongside trustees and senior staff on the Committee.
The responsibilities of the Co-opee:
The FICO Co-optee will be a member of the Finance Committee. They will work under the leadership of the Treasurer (who is Chair of the FICO) and will provide input to the CEO and Head of Finance and Resources.
- As with all of our board roles, this is a voluntary position. Out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed.
- The specific responsibilities of members of the Finance Committee are to:
- Attend quarterly meetings of the Finance Committee and annual Remuneration Committee
- Review budgets, accounts and financial statements, and recommend approval by the board
- Advise the board on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
- Conduct an ongoing review of the financial resources of the organisation by way of regular management accounts (provided by the Head of Finance and Resources) ensuring it meets its present and future needs
- Ensure that the accounts are properly audited or examined and that accepted recommendations of the auditors are implemented
- Maintain and develop own working knowledge of regulatory requirements and good practice regarding charity financial management.
- Read and comment on pages produced for Finance Committee meetings, and other occasional circulations
- Maintain good relations with staff and other stakeholders of the organisation
- Attend occasional away days and other charity events
•A qualified accountant with experience of financial management in a charity
•Commitment to the aims and work of Spark Inside
•Alignment with the values of Spark Inside and its coaching ethos
•Ability to think strategically and understands the implications of financial decisions on operational delivery
•Ability to effectively explain complex financial analysis to non-finance people
•Willingness to devote the time and effort to the role, including attending quarterly Finance Committee meetings
•Ability to come to an independent and objective judgment
•Good understanding of governance within a charity context including the role of a board and its sub-committees
•Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
•Good understanding of both management accounting and financial accounting
•A good understanding of the wider aspects of running an effective organisation
We invite you to submit a short proposal (maximum of two sides of A4) about how you would fulfil this role and how your approach aligns with Spark Inside values. This should be accompanied by an up to date CV or biography.
Please submit your application by Monday 02 December 2019 at 9am. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to meet trustees and senior managers to discuss the role in more detail. Please note that meetings can be held after the working day.
Applications and enquiries should be addressed to Charlie at email@example.com with the subject line: Finance Co-optee.