9 days ago
Farnborough College of Technology
Farnborough College of Technology is an Ofsted ‘outstanding’ rated College. The College offers exceptional teaching and learning facilities, providing first class courses with a strong vocational orientation. With two modern campuses in Farnborough and Aldershot, a warm and friendly atmosphere, and a wide variety of flexible courses for people of all ages, it is easy to understand why it has established an excellent reputation. Accredited by the University of Surrey, the College offers a wide range of further and higher education programmes. Now Farnborough College of Technology is looking to appoint a qualified accountant as a Governor to our Corporation Board and to also serve on our Audit Committee. We already have one qualified accountant amongst our Governors but best practice in the sector recommends that we have at least two accountants represented on the Board. The Governor's role is strategic and not operational and therefore applicants are not required to have any specialist knowledge of education. The essential qualities we seek in a Governor are:
- the ability to think and act strategically
- a broad base of knowledge and skills acquired through senior strategic management
- sound judgement in fulfilling the Corporation's financial and legal responsibilities
- commitment to education and training, and to the success of the College's students
- the ability to work as a member of a team in the best interests of the College
- dedication to acting openly, honestly and with integrity
- determination to get results.
The Corporation Board normally meets twice a term for approximately 2 hours, and conducts much of its business through various sub-Committees which meet once a term, for approximately 2 hours. All meetings currently take place online and are normally at the start or towards the end of the working day. All appointments to the Corporation Board are made on merit following an application and interview process overseen by the Board’s Search Committee. The Search Committee monitors the skills base of the Corporation Board to ensure that it is balanced in terms of expertise, and, as far as is reasonably practicable, that it reflects the composition of the local community.