|Job Title:||Company Secretary|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||September 26, 2019 14:33|
The Gingerbread Centre was established in 1977 in Stoke-on-Trent, providing 24 hour supported accommodation for homeless families, pregnant women and teenage parents from across North Staffordshire.
We are currently seeking a Trustee to join our board who will also take on the role of Company Secretary. By providing your skills and experience you will be helping to ensure that the organisation continues to provide its invaluable services to our beneficiaries. You will be joining a board of friendly and professional trustees.
The role of Secretary is to support the Chair by ensuring the board of trustees conducts itself professionally and effectively in providing sound governance of the charity. It is primarily an administrative role that involves ensuring the agenda following the agreed meeting timetable taking minutes and ensuring all relevant compliance information is accurately maintained and action points are followed up.
In addition to the general responsibilities of a Trustee, duties of the Secretary are as follows:
- Checking that a quorum is present.
- Taking minutes, and circulating draft minutes and the action points for approval to the Chair, before circulating to the Trustees.
- Ensuring that the minutes are signed by the Chair once they have been approved.
- Checking that Trustees and employees have carried out actions agreed at a previous meeting.
- Circulating agendas and minutes of the annual general meeting and any special or extraordinary general meetings (where required).
- Fulfilling the functions of a Company Secretary, such as updating Companies House and the Charity Commission within timescales.
- Sitting on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required.
- Organisational ability.
- Knowledge or experience of business and committee procedures.
- Minute-taking experience.
- Knowledge of company secretariat, company / charity law would be desirable.
- Commitment to the aims, principles and policies of the organisation.
- Willingness and ability to understand and accept their responsibilities and liabilities as trustees, and to act in the best interests of the organisation.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, exercise good, independent judgement, and work effectively as a board member.
- Effective communication skills and willingness to participate actively in discussion; and numeracy to the extent required to understand financial records and accounts.
- Willingness to gain knowledge of local needs and resources that are available to deliver services.
- Quarterly Board meetings, usually on the 3rd Thursday of the Month (September, December, March, June).
- Our AGM is held in November.
- We usually have one half-day Board Away day on a Saturday morning, the date can vary.
- You may be required to attend other committee meetings, dates and times vary.
- Ad hoc communication in between meetings and at times a Trustee may be asked to come in for a specific issue that they have the skills to assist with, but this is not often.
- We would like a Trustee to assist in promotion and be available if possible to attend events and fundraising promotions, ad hoc.
Board meetings are held at the charity Board meetings are currently held at the charities head office based at Rothesay Court, the address is; Rothesay Court, Furnace Rd, Stoke-on-Trent ST3 4LY
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted via Reach Volunteering in the first instance. Please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, the skills and experience you would bring to the board and any other relevant information.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's