18 days ago
Croydon Vision is looking for a new Chair. Everything we do is focused on transforming lives and encouraging people to re-evaluate what’s possible when you’re blind or partially sighted. There is life after sight loss. We’re here to encourage independence, confidence and personal development among the blind and the partially sighted community of Croydon.
This is a leadership role that will further champion our culture and vision - it offers the chosen candidate a unique opportunity to join us as we paint the next 100 years for Croydon Vision.
Purpose of the role:
- Overall non-executive leadership of the charity championing the culture, its vision, mission, and values.
- Work closely with all Board members to ensure the Board operates effectively, adding value to one another and developing together.
- Work in partnership with the chief executive; with clarity and accountability.
As well as building relations with the management team.
- Be a strong and effective ambassador for the charity in a range of contexts, including fundraising and policy engagement where appropriate.
- Ensure that the charity complies with its legal and regulatory requirements and good corporate governance, in line with Charity Commission and other relevant guidance.
- Commitment to the values and ethos of Croydon Vision, and willing to act as the charity’s ambassador and spokesperson from time to time.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship
- A commitment to dedicate the necessary time and effort to the role.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, welcoming of diverse perspectives and able to represent the charity effectively in external functions.
- Able to demonstrate impartiality, fairness, and the ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to command the respect of fellow Trustees, CEO and management.
Skills and Experience
- Experience of Board or committee leadership of charity governance
- Knowledge of the building blocks of an effective Board and of leading and shaping a cohesive team.
- Reflective and analytical, able to think innovatively, critically, independently, and strategically, demonstrating good judgement and commitment to learning.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of Chairing a Board in the charity sector
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Capable of constructive challenge, addressing issues with diplomacy, sensitivity, and discretion.
- Willing to use connections to advance the organisation.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and leadership.
- Demonstrate a healthy understanding of risk, and its benefits - be prepared to take risks when appropriate - and bring entrepreneurial instincts.
Throughout our recruitment, hiring and induction process, we aim to make reasonable adjustments to promote accessibility, making sure that everyone enjoys as similar an experience; thus, promote diversity and inclusion for all.
Benefits of Trusteeship with Croydon Vision
- Improving your community – transforming more lives to independence
- Strategic application – critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Professional networks – meeting diverse professionals.
- Developing skills and experience – adapting your professional knowledge
- Team working – constructively challenge ideas, interpersonal skills.
The Board meets five times a year; including our AGM. We also have a Finance and Risk Committee that usually meet four times a year.
Before you apply
Please contact us initially via the Reach platform with your CV along with a covering letter of 250-300 words; stating why you wish to join the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information. Please note, an enhanced Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) and reference check will be obtained for the chosen candidate
Deadline: 31st July 2021.