Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Chair of Trustees|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Rachel Ord|
|Job Published:||April 20, 2021 14:59|
The Bike Project is a growing charity and social enterprise looking for a chair of trustees to support us with our next phase of growth.
What Will You be Doing?
The Board of Trustees has overall legal responsibility for the direction, management and control of The Bike Project. The Board is collectively accountable for compliance with charity law, company law and other legislative and regulatory requirements. The role of the Chair is to lead the Board in the delivery of its responsibilities.
What Are We Looking For?
As our Chair, you will have the drive, presence and respect to be the non-executive leader of our organisation. We are looking for someone who fits the following criteria:
- A strong commitment to The Bike Project’s vision, mission and values, and to the highest standards of charity governance.
- Demonstrable experience of leading and chairing high level meetings in a consultative fashion.
- Previous experience as a trustee of a charity
- Demonstrable understanding of best practice in charity governance, together with a clear understanding of the roles and responsibility of charity trustees
- Demonstrable experience of leading medium to large organisations at a strategic level.
- Proven track record of delivering the vision of an organisation and enabling it to achieve its goals.
- Strong finance and business skills.
- Proven high level organisational skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of representing an organisation to external stakeholders
We are an ambitious organisation and we want to scale our organisation to meet the need of refugees across the country and we are looking for a chair who can support that vision.
We’re committed to our Board of Trustees being diverse so we particularly welcome applications from women, disabled, and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, and those who have personal experience of being a refugee.
What difference Will You Make?
Having fled persecution and atrocity in their country of origin, most refugees arrive in the UK with absolutely nothing. A bike helps them access food banks, legal advice, healthcare, education and much more. If they're lucky enough to receive official refugee status, a bike can help refugees find employment.
As one of our bike beneficiaries puts it: "When you have to go from charity to charity to feed yourself, a bike becomes very important to your life."
Since 2013, we have given away almost 8,000 bikes to refugees from dozens of countries including Syria, Eritrea and Albania. We also run Bike Buddies, a cycling befriending project, and Pedal Power, teaching refugee women to cycle - sometimes for the first time in their lives.
The chair of trustees is a key leadership role within the charity. The chair will lead the board to develop strategic plans, and provide support and leadership to the CEO on behalf of the Board. Like many charities, the pandemic has changed the landscape that we work in and the new Chair will play a key role in redefining the charity’s strategy as the we move forward in the emerging new context.
What’s In It For The Volunteer?
The Bike Project is one of the fastest growing charities or social enterprises in the UK. Consequently, this is an exciting time to join the board and be part of an exciting period of growth and strategic development.
Generally totals approximately 12 hours per month but may be more or less depending on the needs of the charity.
Please send a CV and a short supporting statement outlining your interest in our work and highlighting how your skills and experience meet the requirements of the role description.
Deadline: 05 Apr 2021