Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Chair of Trustees|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Rachel Ord|
|Job Published:||December 08, 2020 16:51|
Spires is an award-winning charity that has been working with homeless and disadvantaged people in Streatham, South London, since 1990. Working with some of the most isolated and vulnerable in our society, we support over 900 men and women every year.
Our current Chair is approaching the end of their second term and we are now looking for a new dynamic and experienced Chair to step up and lead our board.
Our Board of Trustees works together to ensure Spires’ work is sustainable and accountable by exercising good governance and following all necessary policies and procedures.
The Chair of Trustees will:
• Provide leadership and direction to the board of Trustees and enable the Board to fulfil their responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of the organisation.
• Ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document, charity law, company law and other relevant legislation/regulations.
• Work in partnership with the chief executive, senior staff members and support the employees, helping them achieve the aims of the organisation; and to optimise the relationship between the board of Trustees and the staff.
• Facilitate the Board of Trustees in stimulating excellent, well-rounded and carefully considered strategic decision-making.
- Previous experience in a leadership role.
- Non-executive experience preferably in the voluntary sector
- Commitment to the charity’s objects, aims and values and willingness to devote time to carry out responsibilities.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship and adhering to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- Strategic and forward looking vision in relation to the charity’s objects and aims.
- Good, independent judgement, political impartiality and the ability to think creatively in the context of the organisation and external environment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to respect the confidences of colleagues.
- Balancing tact and diplomacy with willingness to challenge and constructively criticise.
- Leadership experience in the charity sector
- Business development experience
- Links into our local community
- Experience in our particular sector
As an organisation we are particularly keen to ensure that our Trustees are fully representative of the community in which we work and at the current time we would warmly welcome applications from people with a diverse range of background, ethnicity, gender, culture and physical ability.
The board meets six times a year in the evenings. The Chair will meet once monthly with the Chief executive and should be available for phone calls.
How to apply and further details
Applications should be made via Reach Volunteering in the first instance. Please provide a CV together with a supporting statement explaining your suitability for the role. This should also include why you are interested in the role, how your skills and experience match the role description and any other relevant details.
- Applicants will be longlisted and invited for an informal first interview with the Chief Executive. This will also be their opportunity to meet staff and see the services in action.
- Candidates will then be shortlisted and invited for a formal interview with a panel of trustees including the Chair. They will be asked to make a short presentation based on their observations of the services.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's