Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Chair of Trustees|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||November 22, 2019 16:38|
Devon Community Foundation is seeking a new Chair. Do you have the vision to help provide leadership to this unique organisation?
Devon Community Foundation is a unique organisation, privileged to be working alongside people who are motivated by wanting to make a difference across Devon. Every year, we make hundreds of grants to groups doing vital and life changing work in our local communities. At the same time, we provide a cost-effective, personal and flexible way for those wanting to invest in these community groups and make a lasting difference to local issues and causes in Devon.
What will you be doing?
The Chair will hold the Board and Executive Team to account for the Charity’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity. The Chair will also support, and, where appropriate, challenge the Chief Executive and ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely with the entire Executive of the charity to achieve agreed objectives. They will act as an ambassador and the public face of the charity in partnership with the Chief Executive.
What are we looking for?
- Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to DCF, its strategic objectives and cause
- Personal gravitas to lead a significant organisation
- Exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities and be comfortable in an ambassadorial role
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of DCF
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment
- Ability and intention to commit the necessary time to conduct the role well, including travel and attending events
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation
- Successful track record of achievement through their career
- Experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees
- Experience of external representation, public speaking and working with stakeholders
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events
Knowledge and skills
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Civil Society sector and current issues affecting it
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate staff and bring people together
- Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of charity finance issues
- Good understanding of charity governance issues
What difference will you make?
There are thousands of committed individuals and groups in Devon working at the heart of communities, supporting those who are vulnerable and engaging local people in making their neighbourhood a thriving and happy place to live. DCF offers these Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise organisations a vital resource by bringing these organisations together with the generous individuals, families and businesses who want to make a difference locally. The Foundation is the largest independent funder of these local groups and as the Chair you will help to ensure that the organisation continues to go from strength to strength.
Attendance at four board meetings per year.
Meetings take place across Devon so a willingness to travel throughout the county is essential.
How to Apply
Please send: Your current comprehensive CV, including details of two referees (who will not of course be contacted without your prior knowledge and consent). A supporting statement outlining how you feel your skills and experience could be of benefit to DCF and, crucially, detailing your motivation for applying for the role, particularly as the charity continues to grow and prepares for long term sustainable growth.
Applications should be sent via Reach Volunteering in the first instance.