Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Chair of Trustees|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||December 19, 2019 15:27|
Swimathon are seeking a Chair of Trustees to help to develop and deliver the Foundation’s strategy and goals.
The Swimathon Foundation is the owner and custodian of the annual national Swimathon, Open Water Swimathon and School Swimathon events. The main annual Swimathon started in 1986 and has grown to become the world’s largest pool based fundraising swim, bringing together swimmers of all ages and abilities and spreading the joys and benefits of swimming whilst raising vital funds for some of the UK’s most deserving charities.
The Chair will drive the Foundation’s strategic vision for its events and activities, in particular to increase participation in swimming and in charity funds raised and to identify opportunities to maximise support, commercial or otherwise, for its activities.
The individual accepting the role of Chair will sit on the board of the Foundation and its trading subsidiary and work closely with the trustees and the Foundation’s key stakeholders to develop and deliver the Foundation’s strategy and goals.
- Being an ambassador and flag bearer for the Swimathon Foundation and events across a broad range of stakeholders, including charities, sports governing bodies, politicians, suppliers and the media
- Representing the organisation at a limited number (anticipated at around one a month) of external functions and meetings, and acting as a spokesperson as appropriate
- Overseeing the organisation’s affairs and providing support, principally at quarterly trustee meetings and otherwise as reasonably required
- Planning the annual cycle of board meetings, in association with the trustees
- Setting agendas for board meetings and providing a Chair’s report for each
- Chairing and facilitating quarterly board meetings
- Giving direction to the Foundation’s policy making
- Monitoring the implementation of decisions taken at meetings
- Leading the appointment of new trustees
- Conducting annual reviews and developing the board of trustees
- Facilitating change and addressing conflict within the board and organisation
There will be a handover period with the current Chair to ensure the successful candidate is fully settled into the role.
Background and Experience
- High level leadership experience, both operational and strategic
- High level experience of implementing strategy and operational plans
- Solid understanding and experience of some or all of the charity environment, the mass participation event market and the public recreation industry
- An active person: swimming experience useful but not essential
Skills and Competencies
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent relationship building skills and the ability to bring people with you
- Strong analytical skills
- Instinctive commercial acumen
- Comfortable in ambiguous and unstructured environments
- Creative thinker, always proposing ways to improve
- Resilient learner, embracing setbacks and mistakes as lessons
- Attentive to the world outside Swimathon and constantly vigilant
- Highly organised and systematic
- Tact and diplomacy
- A commitment to the cause of the organisation
The board meets quarterly, from 11am till 2pm in Central London
This is a great opportunity to join an organisation that makes a real difference to a variety of charities across the UK whilst also promoting the benefits of swimming. You will be joining a friendly and dedicated board which is passionate about the work of the Foundation.
Applications must be made via Reach Volunteering in the first instance. To apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's