Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Chair of Trustees|
|Salary:||£0.00 - Voluntary|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||April 18, 2019 12:10|
Eikon is Surrey’s largest youth services charity and has been working in the local community for almost two decades, providing preventative and long-term support to some of the county’s most vulnerable young people and their families.
Our vision is to develop happy, thriving and resilient young adults who make a positive contribution to society.
Eikon is now seeking to recruit a new Chair of Trustees, the current Chair having been in the position for the past 5 years. If you share our deeply held commitment to support the alarming numbers of young people who are living in damaging, often tragic circumstances this is an opportunity to make a real contribution to an already highly successful organisation with ambitious plans for its future impact.
The Chair has five principal responsibilities:
- Strategic Leadership - Providing leadership to the Charity and its Board, ensuring the Charity has maximum impact for its beneficiaries, operates within its charitable purposes, has a clear strategic direction, robust fundraising strategy and regularly reviews major risks.
- Governance - Ensure that the Charity’s governance arrangements work in the most effective way and within all agreed Policies, and that the Board of Trustees process is robust and refreshed, as appropriate.
- External Relations - Act as an ambassador and spokesperson for the cause and the Charity, and represent the Charity at external functions, meetings and events.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness - Chair meetings of the Board of Trustees effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision-making process whilst ensuring that decisions are taken in the best, long-term interests of the Charity.
- Relationship with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) - Establish and build a strong, effective and supportive working relationship with the CEO, ensuring that he/she is held to account for achieving agreed Strategic and Business Plan objectives, appraised annually and given the opportunity for professional development.
The successful candidate will have:
- Personal Qualities - Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to the Charity, exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities, be comfortable in an ambassadorial role, demonstrate tact and diplomacy with the ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment and an ability to be a ‘thought leader’, articulate and discuss related ‘bigger picture’ concepts.
- Experience - Significant experience of (i) operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organization, (ii) charity governance, chairing meetings/events and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees, (iii) external representation and working with external stakeholders, and (iv) preferably working with young people.
- Knowledge and Skills - Broad knowledge and understanding of the Civil Society sector and the public sector (eg local government and/or NHS), strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and bring people together, financial management expertise and a good understanding of charity governance issues.
- Five evening Board meetings.
- Other committee meetings (eg Governance & Risk, Finance & Audit).
- An annual Board away day.
- Teleconferences and regular meetings and phone calls with the Chief Executive.
- Liaison with individual Trustees and senior staff on particular issues.
- Attending and speaking at events, giving talks etc.
Location: Eikon HQ in West Byfleet, Surrey, KT15 3HP
How to apply
Please submit your CV and a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, what skills and experience you will bring to the board and any other relevant information.
Applications should be made via Reach TrusteeWorks in the first instance.
Closing date for applications is June 18th.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Chair Designate & Trustees | Altus Education Partnership
Unremunerated with reasonable expenses
Chair, Treasurer and Trustees
0 - 0
Trustees and Committee Members
0 - 0
Non-executive director/ Trustee role and Chair role at The Robinswood Academy Trust
0 - 0
Independent Member of Council