Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Chair of Trustees|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||August 01, 2019 16:59|
People First Dorset are looking for a new Chair to lead our experienced and strong board.
Our current chair will be standing down later this year, having served three years in this post. During this time she has overseen a restructure of the organisation, updated our governing documents and led the charity to expand during a time of increasing cuts and limited funding.
The Chair will provide leadership and direction to the board of Trustees and enable the Board to fulfill their responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of the organisation.
They will ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document, charity law, company law and other relevant legislation/regulations.
They will also work closely with our Manager, helping them achieve the aims of the organisation; and to optimise the relationship between the board of Trustees and the staff.
Additionally they will facilitate the board of trustees in stimulating excellent, well-rounded and carefully considered strategic decision-making.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship
- Commitment to the charity’s objects, aims and values and willingness to devote time to carry out responsibilities.
- Strategic and forward looking vision in relation to the charity’s objects and aims.
- Good, independent judgement, political impartiality and the ability to think creatively in the context of the organisation and external environment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to lead and to respect the confidences of colleagues.
- Balancing tact and diplomacy with willingness to challenge and constructively criticise.
- Experience in the legal sector
- Prior experience of committee/trustee work.
- Experience of chairing meetings, committee work, some experience of charity finance, charity fundraising
- Experience of learning disability
What difference will you make?
We are a small charity and need a strong chair to help us govern the charity, support the Board and ensure that we are able to continue supporting and making a positive and significant difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
You will be making a significant difference to helping enrich the lives of a group of vulnerable individuals, who need support throughout their lives. You will be joining a very friendly charity, known for providing extremely high quality work and in a professional manner. We have strong, established and positive relationships with many other organisations and supporters – including our funders, the local authority, health providers and other organisations we work alongside. No one day is the same.
How to apply
Applications to be made via Reach in the first instance. To apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information. Deadline for applications: 31st May 2019.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's