Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Chair of Trustees|
|Salary:||£0.00 - Voluntary|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||March 07, 2019 15:08|
African Prison Project - we work with people in prison in Africa and beyond putting the power of the law in the hands of the poor. By providing high-quality legal advice, training, and education to those living and working in prison, we empower those most in need of justice to access it for themselves.
This is an exciting time for APP as we transition from a focus on welfare of prisoners to also improving access to justice. As we do so we navigate significant funding cuts to international justice work. We are looking to strengthen our board with a new Chair.
The primary responsibilities of the Chair are the following:
- The Chair will hold the Board and Executive Team to account for the Charity's mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees.
- Ensuring that the Board as a whole works effectively together, fulfils its responsibilities for the governance of APP, and evaluates its performance on a regular basis. APP’s Governance framework encompasses six areas: nurturing APP’s identity; enabling learning and renewal; focusing on impact; cultivating organisational health; bringing stretch; and growing public fidelity and trust.
- Collaborating with, supporting and appropriately challenging the DG.
- Supporting the Board and the Director General in developing APP’s strategy and associated operating plans.
- Chairing meetings of the Board.
- Core Responsibilities
- Ensure APP acts in accordance with legislation, its constitution and those procedures governed by the charities commission and company law.
- Work with the Board to ensure APP functions within legal and financial requirements of a UK registered charity and strives for best practice.
- Ensure effective governance structures are in place, regularly reviewed and adhered to.
- Declare any conflicts of interest while carrying out trustee duties.
- Work with SMT to ensure there is a clear long term and strategic vision for APP.
- Contribute specific skills, contacts and expertise to influence, support and delivery the strategic goals.
- Conduct governance reviews.
The following experience, skills and personal attributes will be required:
- A strong commitment to serving, supporting and empowering the most marginalised, ignored and down-trodden across society, and a willingness to be transformed by them.
- Significant, demonstrable experience in a senior leadership role gained within any (or a combination) of business, government, church or voluntary sectors.
- Previous experience of chairing committees, boards or leadership teams effectively.
- Expertise in a range of relevant fields relating to the Board’s role, for example including: governance, law, organisation development, strategy, intentional communities, financial management, marketing and fundraising, penal justice, international development, etc.
- High emotional intelligence, coupled with strong relational and communication skills.
- The ability to build an effective relationship with the Director General, characterised by both support and effective challenge.
- A willingness to be part of a ‘community of servants, accountable stewards and courageous changemakers’ following Jesus’ example in loving the unloved and seeking justice for the oppressed.
- A commitment to putting the power of the law into the hands of the poor and willingness to engage in community life, a strong and visible passion and enthusiasm for APP's work.
- The ability and willingness to offer around 7-8 days each year (plus additional time for overseas travel and ad-hoc telephone conversations with the DG and trustees as the need arises).
- Ability to foster a collaborative team environment with other trustees
- Strong networking capabilities that would support APP
The ability and willingness to offer around 7-8 days each year for 3 years.
How to Apply
Please apply via Reach TrusteeWorks by submitting a CV.
Deadline for applications
Closing date: First round 21st March 2019
Interviews: 28th March and 4th April 2019