Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Chair of Trustees|
|Salary:||£0.00 - Voluntary role|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||March 07, 2019 15:01|
About the organisation
At 1st Place, we provide early education and support to local families with children under five. Our Children and Parents' Centre offers a wide range of services including play and learning sessions, parenting programmes and one-to-one support.
About the role
We are looking for a new Chair of the Board of Trustees to join us in March/April 2019 to take over from the outgoing Chair.
The Chair leads the Trustee board and is responsible for ensuring collective Trustee agreement to the strategic direction, governance and development of the Centre. By becoming Chair you will help to ensure that we continue to deliver our invaluable service to the community.
- Lead the Board of Trustees in ensuring the effective performance of its governance responsibilities and fulfilling the charity’s obligations to children and families using its services.
- Work in partnership with the 1st Place Director to help them achieve the objects set for 1st Place.
- Ensure there is an effective relationship between the Board of Trustees and 1st Place staff, volunteers, members, and stakeholders.
- Ensure 1st Place has appropriate procedures to comply with current legislation and good practice, including but not limited to employment, health and safety, non-discrimination, risk management and safeguarding.
- Agree, with 1st Place Director, an annual schedule for Board committee and subcommittee meetings and key events.
- Through the 1st Place Director, ensure appropriate and regular communication between the Trustees staff, volunteers, members and stakeholders.
- Ensure the Board of Trustees fulfils its responsibilities
- A knowledge of and commitment to the work of 1st Place.
- Good chairing, listening and presentation skills.
- Supportive, inclusive and confident leadership style.
- Understanding of the voluntary sector, governance of a charity and charity law.
- Ability to be strategic.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to consult effectively with other trustees, staff and service users.
- Ability and willingness to devote time and effort to the organisation.
- Time commitment is approximately 1 board meeting a month, depending on the time of year, as more input is required around audit and strategy planning time.
- One to one meetings with the Director each month.
- Meetings take place at our main site in Burgess Park, between Old Kent Rd and Walworth Rd.
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach Volunteering in the first instance. To apply please submit your CV and a covering statement expressing why you are interested in the joining the organisation, what skills you would bring to the board and any other relevant information.
Prospective candidates will then meet with the Director of the organisation who will show them around the centre and discuss in more detail about what the organisation does. The next stage would then involve a meeting with a panel of Trustees.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Chair of Trustees
Voluntary, expenses paid
Chair of Trustees | Gingerbread
Chair Designate & Trustees | Altus Education Partnership
Unremunerated with reasonable expenses
Chair of Trustee Board - Finance Innovation Lab
0 - 0
Non-Executive Director and Chair at The Robinswood Academy Trust
0 - 0