Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Chair of Trustees|
|Salary:||£0.00 - Voluntary role|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||April 10, 2019 14:28|
GASP Motor Project is a small Surrey based charity which provides hands-on courses in basic motor mechanics and practical engineering for young people – often those who are disaffected and vulnerable – who live in Surrey and the surrounding area.
Operating from a purpose built motor mechanics workshop in Albury, outside Guildford, or around the county from our Mobile Workshop, GASP delivers an Alternative Learning programme. We teach young people practical skills in a safe and supervised professional environment, helping them to change their behaviours, appreciate the value of teamwork, and prepare for the world of work.
About the role
GASP Motor Project is seeking a Chair of the Board of Trustees to provide leadership to a committed and talented Board of Trustees and a dedicated organisation that is demonstrably making a positive impact to young people in Surrey. The current Chair is stepping down after nine years (3 x 3 years) in the role.
The organisation’s delivery is now at full capacity and we wish to pursue an organic growth strategy that will broaden our geographic footprint into more areas of deprivation across Surrey. This requires a Chair who will lead the Board and the organisation to increase its funding and organisational capability to meet this aspiration.
The Chair’s overarching responsibilities include ensuring that the organisation raises the required funds and delivers the programmes that meet the strategic objectives of the charity, whilst ensuring the charity is run to the highest ethical and fiduciary standards. There is also the requirement to manage the charity’s relationships with such high profile supporters as McLaren and ExxonMobil.
Included in this are:
- To lead the Trustee body in ensuring that it fulfills its responsibilities for the governance of the organisation.
- To work in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer, helping him or her achieve the mission of the organisation.
- To provide oversight of the effectiveness and integrity of the organisation
We are looking for an ideal candidate with some or all of the following experience and talents:
- Commitment to the aspirations of the organisation to support the positive progression of ‘at risk’ young people
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Strategic and a forward-looking vision in relation to the charity’s objectives and aims
- Experience of working at Board level
- Experience of securing funding and bid writing in the voluntary sector is very desirable
- Personable and energetic ‘ambassador’ who will have enthusiasm for the work of GASP
- Able to communicate effectively with both external and internal parties
- Strong collaborative and networking skills
- Well networked within the Surrey Community
Quarterly board meetings held in the evenings at 4:30pm, plus Ad-Hoc meetings as required. In addition to board meetings the Chair catches up regularly with the CEO, which can be done remotely if needed. Meetings are held near the organisation’s premises in Guildford.
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach Volunteering in the first instance. Please send a CV and cover letter stating why you are interested in applying for the role, how your skills and experience match the person specification, how you can add value to the board and any other relevant information.