16 days ago
Moon Executive Search
An opportunity to lead the Board of Designability
The charity that enables disabled people to live with greater independence
Designability is a UK charity that enables disabled people to live with greater independence. Our team of designers and engineers create life-changing assistive products to help people who are facing challenges every day. We follow the principles of human-centered design which means that everything we develop is done in response to what people tell us they need. Our aim is for people to achieve greater independence and happiness in their lives – goals that benefit all of society.
We are looking to appoint a Chair that will lead the Board of Trustees and the CEO in setting and delivering Designability’s strategic objectives. The Chair will champion our vision mission and values, and with the support of the senior leadership team and other Trustees, will ensure the charity’s goals are met.
The Chair will need to have operated at a senior level ideally as an Executive, Non-Exec or Chair, with an empathy and understanding of the challenges faced by disabled people, ideally by having lived experience either personally, or as a family member or carer. This is an unpaid voluntary role.
- To lead the Trustees of Designability and to ensure that the Board fulfils its governance responsibilities.
- To direct the work of the Board to ensure Designability achieves its aims and responds effectively to issues that arise.
- To ensure the Trustees deploy Designability’s resources to further the charity’s objectives whilst complying with the law and meeting commitments to funders.
- To ensure the three-year strategic plan is reviewed annually.
- To chair and facilitate the Board meetings of Designability.
- To set the agenda of Board meetings in conjunction with the CEO.
- To lead on the monitoring and implementation of decisions taken at Board meetings or to allocate this role.
- To carry out an annual appraisal of the work of the CEO.
- To sit on appointment and disciplinary panels as appropriate.
- To represent Designability at functions and meetings as appropriate.
In addition to the duties listed above, the new Chair should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions.
Time Commitment: Circa 3 days per month, this includes 4 Board meetings, an annual Away Day, committee meetings, strategic Board events, induction, reading and preparation for Board meetings, communication with the CEO and attendance at stakeholder events.
To request a candidate briefing pack - please contact Sandy Hinks, Head of Charity Practice on 01275 371200 or email email@example.com Quoting reference: JO2158 Closing date Midnight 31st August 2021
Moon Executive Search is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all areas of society. Designability is committed to creating and sustaining a fully inclusive and diverse culture. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and communities.
Designability. Registered in England & Wales. Company No. 933932 Registered: Designability Charity Ltd, Wolfson Centre, Department D1, Royal United Hospital, Bath, BA1 3NG Registered Charity: 256335 https://designability.org.uk/