Chair of Audit Committee
|Job Title:||Chair of Audit Committee|
|Reference:||CIWM - COAC|
|Contact Name:||Helen Boiko|
|Job Published:||March 28, 2019 13:22|
CHARTERED INSTITUTION OF WASTES MANAGEMENT (CIWM)
CHAIR OF CIWM GROUP AUDIT COMMITTEE
CIWM is the professional membership body for people working in or with the resource and waste management sector. It supports its members by providing technical & career advice, information, training & networking. It sets and maintains professional standards, developing & sharing knowledge & best practice. It provides an impartial, influential and respected voice for the sector in policy discussions in Belfast, Brussels, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh & London, helping to ensure policy development is informed by practical and theoretical understanding and experience. CIWM has over 5000 members. It is incorporated by Royal Charter and is a charity.
The Audit Committee is established to support the Trustees in their responsibilities for the CIWM Group by advising on the governance of the financial management of the Institution and by providing an independent review of the nature and scope of the audit of the Institution’s finances carried out by the External Auditor.
As Chair of our Audit Committee you will play a key role in our corporate governance model by supporting and constructively challenging the Trustees (known as General Councillors) of the parent charity (CIWM) and the trustees/directors of subsidiary companies.
This role is independent of the Trustee Board and also independent of the Boards of the subsidiary companies. The Chair is not a Trustee of CIWM.
As Chair of the Audit Committee, you will use your experience and knowledge to provide an external perspective on the strategic direction of our work and contribute to the scrutiny and constructive challenge of our performance whilst maintaining independence of thought. You will also provide an informal source of independent advice to the Trustees, Chief Executive, Financial Controller and other directors as appropriate. You will chair two meetings each year, though additional meetings may be called as deemed appropriate by you and/or the CIWM Chief Executive.
The principal responsibilities of the Chair of the Audit Committee are to:
· chair the Audit Committee meetings ensuring that the Committee works effectively to fulfil its role in the CIWM Group Corporate Governance model;
· report (either verbally or in writing) to the Trustees at the next meeting of General Council following any meeting of the Audit Committee on the matters reviewed by, and on any decisions or recommendations of, the Audit Committee; and respond to their questions and concerns;
· work with the CEO and Financial Controller to prepare the Audit Committee meeting agendas to ensure all required business is brought before the Audit Committee to enable it to efficiently carry out its duties and responsibilities;
· work with other members of the Audit Committee, Trustees and management to periodically review and assess its terms of reference and establish procedures to govern it’s work and ensure the Committee fully discharges its duties; and
· attend CIWM’s Annual General meeting and respond to questions from members addressed to the Chairman of the Audit Committee.
We wish to appoint an experienced qualified Accountant with a proven track record at a senior level in Third Sector organizations with significant commercial activities. Previous experience either as a member of or working at a senior level with an audit committee is preferred; and previous experience working with membership organisations (not necessarily charitable ones) is also desirable.
You will be able to demonstrate:
· a clear understanding of internal controls and a control environment within a complex organisation with significant information systems dependencies;
· proven ability to bring a member focused and a value for money focused delivery challenge to the CIWM Group, together with an understanding of how to balance this against control and delivery risks;
· evidence of a personal motivation and commitment to the Third Sector and an interest in the resource and waste management sector and CIWM’s charitable objectives;
· a demonstrably collaborative way of working, for example with fellow Committee members, Trustees, senior staff and other stakeholders to enable the delivery of priorities both within and outside their own areas of responsibility;
· excellent communication of key messages to both internal and external audiences, and the ability to listen to and a willingness to act upon feedback;
· experience of working with Third Sector and membership organisations generally is desirable as is knowledge of governance issues and processes in these organisations; and
You should hold a professional qualification from a CCAB (or equivalent) recognised body.
Length of appointment: Initially, a fixed period of three years with the possibility of extension for a further period of up to three years.
Start date: April 2019
Time commitment: Maximum 5 days per year; includes attendance at:
· 2 Audit Committee meetings – c. 3 hours each;
· the Annual General Meeting – c. half an hour; and
· 1 Trustee Board (known as General Council) meetings – Spring Meeting to present results of annual audit. – c. half an hour.
Two days have been allowed for preparation.
Remuneration: This is a voluntary role
Expenses: Travel at second class rail fare or 45p per mile
Subsistence – moderate, relevant expenditure will be reimbursed.
Hotel accommodation (if required) will be booked and paid direct by CIWM.
Please send your CV to email@example.com
Please include an email address as arrangements for the next steps in the process will be advised by email.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Chair of Trustees
0 - 0
University of Cambridge - External Member of the Remuneration Committee
0 - 0
Chair of the Corporation | Newham Sixth Form College (NewVIc)
Unremunerated with reasonable expenses
Professional Indemnity Committee Member
0 - 0