3 days ago
Reach Volunteering are working with International Cat Care in the recruitment of a new Chair for their Board.
International Cat Care is a charity passionate about improving the care of all cats - owned or unowned. All cats have different needs and problems, requiring different solutions and approaches and this is where we come in. This role will provide an opportunity to work closely with a friendly team and the chance to make a real difference to an important cause and help to drive the strategy and development of the charity.
The Chair, with the Board and Executive Team, ensures the progress of the charity’s mission and vision. The Chair provides inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each Trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity. The Chair will also support, and, where appropriate, assist the Chief Executive and ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely with the entire Executive of the charity to achieve agreed objectives. He or she will act as an ambassador and the public face of the charity in partnership with the Chief Executive.
- Provide leadership and focus for the Trustee Board and the charity staff based upon ICatCare’s objectives and using clear strategic planning to enable the charity to fulfil its purpose
- Develop the knowledge and capability of the Board of Trustees and ensure that Trustees fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the Charity
- Ensure that the Board is able to regularly review major risks and associated opportunities, and satisfy itself that systems are in place to take advantage of opportunities, and manage and mitigate the risks
- Ensure that the Board fulfils its duties to ensure the sound financial health of the charity, by the implementation of systems put in place to monitor and ensure financial accountability
- Ensure an effective and respectful relationship between:
- the Trustee Board and the staff
- the Trustee Board and external stakeholders/wider community
- Act as a spokesperson/ambassador and figurehead if required, or delegate this role as appropriate
- Meet staff and visit projects if required
- Work with and support the Chief Executive in order to facilitate an open, positive and transparent relationship
- Oversee the work of any and all subcommittees and ensure that there is a clear reporting mechanism to the main committee
- Plan and prepare the committee meetings with the Chief Executive and Vice Chairs as appropriate
- Chair committee meetings ensuring:
- A balance is struck between time-keeping and space for discussion and decision-making
- Decisions, actions and deliberations are clearly communicated to the minute taker
- The implementation of decisions is clearly assigned and monitored
- Minutes are checked after the meeting and signed off at the next meeting
- Ensure adequate support and supervision arrangements are made for the Chief Executive and other staff members.
- Implement clear and timely succession plans and ensure that a successor is found for the role of Chairperson well before the term of office finishes
The Trustee Board welcomes applications from individuals who have:
- Trustee or corporate board-level experience as demonstrated by a proven ability to run a meeting well and manage the expectations of various agencies within and out with a charity
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, including tact, diplomacy and clear-sightedness
- Proven ability to develop an organisation’s strategic direction
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of International Cat Care
- Sufficient available time to undertake the duties of Chairperson
We envisage that the successful candidate will complete an initial induction/trial period, at the end of which they will be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of the charity’s aims and business plan.
Before you apply
The charity’s offices are in Tisbury, Wiltshire, however, Trustee Board meetings are usually held in London, with at least one meeting a year in Tisbury. It is possible that this ratio may change in the future to accommodate changes, e.g. in the makeup of the Board. There are 4 meetings per annum, which encompasses finance and staffing subcommittees as required. A strategic planning weekend is held every 2 years. Reasonable travel and other necessary expenses will be met for attendance at meetings or other charity business as per the charity.
Please submit your application via Reach Volunteering.