2 days ago
Creative Future are seeking a Chair to join our board, to take over from our existing Chair who is looking to step down soon. We are interested in hearing from dynamic individuals who are dedicated to promoting talented under-represented artists/writers.
By becoming Chair you will help to ensure that we continue to deliver our invaluable service to our beneficiaries.
Creative Future promotes artistic excellence, encouraging arts diversity by providing opportunities to under-represented artists. We’re a bridge from the margins to the mainstream, a catalyst for individual change, enabling people to use their creative talent to change their lives. Using innovative methods to bring new art to new audiences, we’re unique in the breadth of people we work with and the depth in how we work with them.
Summary of the Role
- The Chair provides leadership and direction to the Board of Trustees and enables the Board to fulfill their responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of the organisation.
- Ensures that the organisation pursues its objectives as defined in the governing document, charity law, company law and other relevant legislation/regulations.
- Works in partnership with the Chief Executive and helps to optimise the relationship between the board of Trustees and the staff.
- Facilitates the Board of Trustees in excellent, well-rounded and carefully considered strategic decision-making.
- Understanding of the role that Trustees and the Board as a whole play within a charity.
- Experience of operating at a strategic level within a similar sized organisation.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Commitment to making Creative Future one of the UK’s leading organisations for under-represented artists & writers.
- Prepared to be a champion for Creative Future to personal and professional networks.
- Be passionate about arts and literature but might be from a non arts background.
- Understand the challenges and opportunities within the not-for-profit sector.
- Strong commercial business experience.
- Experience of service on a charity board.
- Cultural sector recognition and high profile contacts.
- Potential to bring in new strategic partners/sponsors & opportunities.
- Understanding of Charity Commission/Company House requirements.
Time Commitment and Location
Board meetings are held 4 times a year, in the evenings for approximately two hours. Meetings are held at the organisation’s office in Central Brighton (BN1 3XG).
This is a voluntary role though reasonable travel expenses are offered. It is expected that board members will serve for at least 1 year and stay for a maximum of 3 years (with an option to renew for another 3 years if mutually agreed). A full induction will be provided.
How to Apply
Applications must be made via TrusteeWorks in the first instance. In order to apply please submit your CV and a covering letter stating your relevant experiences/interests, why you’d like to be considered for this role and what you would contribute to the Creative Future board. Please also include two referees