|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Rachel Ord|
|Job Published:||December 22, 2021 10:30|
Wellspring is looking to appoint a Chair to lead our small Board of Trustees which supports and shapes the future of Wellspring.
What will you be doing?
The Board is responsible for the financial and legal welfare of Wellspring and for the broad operational strategy. The Board is also ultimately responsible for ensuring that Wellspring is fulfilling its objectives as stated in the Articles of Association. The Board works closely with the Clinical Services Managers, Office Supervisor and Administrator and open communication is an important factor in the Board's ability to perform its duties.
The Chair will provide leadership by ensuring that everyone remains focused on the delivery of Wellspring’s charitable purposes and will plan and manage the annual cycle of Board meetings in liaison with the Office Supervisor and Clinical Managers.
In addition to the general responsibilities of a Trustee, duties of the Chair include the following:
- Providing leadership to Wellspring and the Board by ensuring that everyone remains focused on the delivery of the Wellspring’s charitable purposes
- Chairing and facilitating Board meetings
- Giving direction to Board policy-making
- Checking that decisions taken at meetings are implemented
- Bringing impartiality and objectivity to decision-making
- With assistance from the Office Supervisor and Clinical Managers:
- Planning the annual cycle of Board meetings and other general meetings where required, for example annual general meeting
- Setting agendas for Board and other general meetings
- Addressing conflict if it arises within the Board and within Wellspring, and liaising with appropriate colleagues to achieve this
- The Vice-Chair acts for the Chair when the Chair is not available and undertakes assignments at the request of the Chair
What are we looking for?
- Leadership skills
- Experience on a Board of Trustees
- Experience of chairing meetings
- A commitment to the aims and values of Wellspring
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Strategic vision
- Good, independent judgement
- An ability to think creatively
- A willingness to speak openly and constructively
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- A commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
What difference will you make?
Help support and shape the future of Wellspring which provides affordable high quality psychotherapy and counselling to individuals; couples, groups, families and young people.
'The cost of counselling for those times in life when we might need some professional help is often completely unaffordable. This small Edinburgh-based charity (of which I am a recently appointed trustee) has been providing high-quality counselling services for decades at affordable rates.' - Francis, Wellspring Trustee
What's in it for the volunteer?
An opportunity to use your knowledge and experience lead the Board of Trustees and to make a real difference to, and help shape the future of Wellspring.
'I found the Board very welcoming and receptive. In my previous encounters with Wellspring, I had come to recognise the unique contribution to mental health that the many therapists offered to a wide range of clientele, and the strategic importance of Wellspring 's location on Leith Walk. Board members worked well as a team, and coped with many challenging circumstances... It was an enormous and demanding pleasure to serve in the role of Chair.' - Liddy, Former Wellspring Chair.
The Chair will typically be active for 2-3 hours per week, plus attend scheduled Board meetings in Edinburgh every 6-8 weeks and an annual AGM.
The Board is currently meeting remotely but the Chair would be expected to attend most meetings in person when restrictions lift.
Before you apply
Reach Volunteering are supporting Wellspring with their Board recruitment Please submit a CV and supporting statement. In the supporting statement, please include how your skills and experience match the person specification, why you wish to join the Wellspring Board and any other relevant details in support of your application. For an informal chat with Wellspring, please contact the Reach TrusteeWorks team who will be able to arrange this. Please contact the Reach TrusteeWorks team for any queries.
Closing date: 15th February 2022
Interviews: w/c 28th February 2022
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's