Parminder Athwal (trustee)
7 days ago
Calthorpe Community Garden
Calthorpe Community Garden is a green oasis and asset of community value, innovative and unique in central London. As an inner city community garden and centre it exists to improve the physical and emotional wellbeing of those who live, work or study in Camden and surrounding areas. Supporting children, young people and vulnerable groups in the community, Calthorpe proudly offers a range of participatory and supervised creative, wellbeing, horticultural and sporting activities for people to meet and take care of each other and the environment, as well as programmes generating vital revenue. We are active members of a wide range of local, Camden and London-wide partnerships.
Celebrating 35 years of providing essential community services, Calthorpe is now preparing to embark on an exciting period of development as we transform our provision for years to come.
About the role/what we are looking for
We are looking for a Chair who can steer the board through a period of change, opportunity and disruption.
The Chair is a seasoned professional with outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written with a strong steer on governance. The Chair leads the Board of Trustees by example and provides a collaborative framework for the Board to discuss, decide and implement matters of strategic importance in order to comply with the charitable objectives of Calthorpe.
- Chair the Board of Trustees and facilitate Board meetings
- Prepare the Board agenda with the support of the Secretary
- Ensure compliance and best practice is maintained with policies and regulations
- Safeguard the good name and values of the organisation and act in its best interest at all times
- Facilitate healthy discussion and subsequent clear and robust implementation of decisions
- Ensure the Board is objective, balanced and effective, (including oneself) and maintain transparent independent decision-making
- Ensure effective communication lines with the Operational Director
- Highlight any issues that require discussion on a timely basis to avoid any disruption to operation
- Ensure appropriate Trustee skill sets are utilised where required via sub committees/projects
- Ensure strong governance of the Charity and compliance with the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Represent the organisation at appropriate meetings or events
Experience and qualities required
- Experienced Chair or senior executive of either a private or public sector organisation
- Demonstrable leadership qualities with superior communications skills
- Balanced judgement, independence of thought, gravitas, integrity, empathy
- Ability to challenge logically and sensitively with analytical and evaluation skills paramount
- Passionate about the third sector and the Calthorpe’s service offerings
- Experience within the third sector desirable but not mandatory
What difference will you make?
The Chair is a key independent role in chairing board meetings, supporting the director in driving the overall direction of the organisation which is vital for shaping a well-governed charity, sustainable for the future.
It is an important role and an opportunity to make a positive difference by supporting and enhancing a local community.
What’s in it for you?
It is an exciting time to join Calthorpe in making decisions about growing its current offerings to the community and playing an important part in realising a range of medium to long term strategic opportunities for the Garden, including expansion to develop new opportunities.
- Working closely with local partners, including the London Borough of Camden, to deliver a growing and important Public Health and Wellbeing remit
- Collaborating on various initiatives across the Camden Borough and with bodies such as University College London. A new world class Centre of Excellence (Dementia Research Institute) - part of the King’s Cross Knowledge Quarter - is being developed on land immediately adjoining our Garden and we are discussing opportunities to collaborate.
- At present the Board meets once a month (Zoom), but pre/post-Covid-19 once every 2 months and one Annual General Meeting
- Liaison with the Operations Director so Chair is abreast of matters of strategic importance
- Other communication via email or telephone where appropriate
How to apply
- We would love to hear from you. We welcome applications from Camden or any London borough irrespective of ethnicity, race, nationality, disability, age, religion or belief, gender and sexual orientation.
- This role is voluntary and unpaid but reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
- Please send your CV and a cover letter (no more than one side of A4) demonstrating your suitability
for the role to: email@example.com by 5pm on Friday 11 June 2021.
- All applications will be reviewed in the strictest confidence and data will be held in accordance with GDPR policies and procedures.
Thank you for your interest, we look forward to hearing from you.
Reference ID: CCG Chair
Job Type: Volunteer