|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Oliver Standing|
|Job Published:||November 09, 2020 11:54|
Expert Citizens (EC) is Community Interest Company in Stoke on Trent focused on improving support — as well as the wider debate — around multiple disadvantage (the combination of life challenges such as mental ill health, substance use, criminal justice involvement, homelessness etc).
We are seeking a new chair! Given Covid19 and technology we feel this person could be based anywhere in the UK.
Here’s what’s great about the organisation:
- Everything it does is powered by lived experience. The executive team brings a wealth of personal and professional experience and passion, and we have excellent links with organisations in the field such as Expert Link, MEAM and The Lankelly Chase Foundation.
- As a Community Interest Company (CIC) we are proud to have an outward-facing and entrepreneurial mindset. We have a combined board made up of the Chief Executive and Ops Director alongside the Non Executive Directors (which are more like charity trustees).
- Consequently, we deliver a range of projects and workstreams to bring about the change we want to see — whether it’s partnering academic bodies to carry out research, delivering the peer support element of our local Housing First programme, organising our major annual Insight awards.
- It straddles the local and the national. Being established in Stoke-on-Trent by a group of citizens with lived experience of multiple disadvantage and then nurtured as part of the Big Lottery’s Fulfilling Lives Programme, Expert Citizen enjoys the best of both worlds; still firmly rooted in Stoke but also part of the national dialogue.
- It is an exciting point in its development: EC is currently working with the Red Pencils agency to begin to review and strengthen our governance and strategy. This work is ongoing and will start to build a platform the new Chair can then use to continue the mission.
As you can see the organisation has a lot going for it, and an effective and well-connected Chief Executive in Darren Murinas. I have learned a massive amount in my time, from street-level insight into how services do — and don’t — work to support the people the organisation serves to some of the finer-grain detail of CIC governance.
As chair you would:
- Lead our governance — ensuring the strengths and skills of the Board are harnessed to continue steering Expert Citizens on a bright and sustainable path.
- Strengthen & develop our team — working closely with and providing strategic support to the CEO, to together lead the organisation.
- Be an ambassador for lived experience — flying the flag for those experiencing multiple disadvantage in general and our brilliant organisation in particular.
- Time commitment: approximately two days per month.
- Remuneration: this is a voluntary position; travel expenses will be reimbursed.
- Start date: the appointed Chair will attend our (online) January Board meeting alongside the outgoing Chair; handover details can be arranged.
I am very happy to have an informal chat with anyone interested in the role. Please email me at email@example.com — and follow EC on twitter for a taster.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's