|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||May 05, 2020 16:41|
The Alternatives to Violence Project is a network of skilled volunteers who run workshops for anyone who wants to find ways of resolving conflict without resorting to violence. We work in the community and in prisons.
AVP Britain is now seeking to recruit a new Chair of Trustees as the current Chair approaches the end of her second three year term of office.
- Strategic Leadership - Providing leadership to the Charity and its Board, ensuring the Charity has maximum impact for its beneficiaries, operates within its charitable purposes, has a clear strategic direction, robust fundraising strategy and regularly reviews major risks.
- Governance - Ensure that the Charity’s governance arrangements work in the most effective way and within all agreed Policies, and that the Board of Trustees process is robust and refreshed, as appropriate.
- External Relations - Act as an ambassador and spokesperson for the cause and the Charity, and represent the Charity at external functions, meetings and events.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness - Chair meetings of the Board of Trustees effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision-making process whilst ensuring that decisions are taken in the best, long-term interests of the Charity.
What are we looking for?
- Personal Qualities - Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to the Charity, exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities, be comfortable in an ambassadorial role, demonstrate tact and diplomacy with the ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment and an ability to be a ‘thought leader’, articulate and discuss related ‘bigger picture’ concepts.
- Experience - Significant experience of (i) operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organization, (ii) charity governance, chairing meetings/events and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees, (iii) external representation and working with external stakeholders.
- Knowledge and Skills - Broad knowledge and understanding of the Charity sector and strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and bring people together, financial management expertise and a good understanding of charity governance issues with an interest in criminal justice; mediation; conflict resolution.
We are fully committed to increasing the diversity of our board.
A more diverse board will:
- understand better the needs of all sections of the community
- offer a broader range of perspectives about issues
- be more creative in generating ideas and solutions
- improve decision making.
To this end we want to recruit people with different skills, life experiences and from different backgrounds. We would especially welcome applications from people with experience of the charitable sector with a specific interest in restorative justice and non-violent interventions.
If you would like to join us as a general trustee we would also be very interested in hearing from you.
What difference will you make?
You will provide leadership and direction as well as facilitate the board of trustees in stimulating well-rounded and carefully considered strategic decision-making. You will be playing a fundamental role in helping us to continue providing support to people to learn how to handle conflict, resist violence and build stronger relationships.
What's in it for the volunteer?
This is an opportunity to join a friendly team of people who are passionate about the cause and be a part of an international organization with a rich history of positive impact on people’s lives.
Time Commitment & Location
The board meets 4 times a year 10am-4pm. Usually in London but next year we are considering holding some meetings elsewhere, possibly York.
Applications should be made via Reach Volunteering in the first instance. Please send a CV and cover letter stating why you are interested in applying for the role, how your skills and experience match the person specification, how you can add value to the committee and any other relevant information.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's