|Salary:||£0.00 - voluntary|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||March 24, 2020 12:29|
Abbefyfield St Albans Society
Abbeyfield is a charity for older people providing housing across the UK and internationally. It is our mission to enhance the quality of life for older people through high quality accommodation in a stimulating environment to maintain a socially active life.
The St Albans Society, formed in 1960, shares the ethos of The Abbeyfield Society, of which it is a member, and is responsible for the operation and viability of Grace Muriel House, a residential care home currently for thirty-six residents.
- Strategic Leadership - Providing leadership to the Charity and its Board, ensuring the Charity has maximum impact for its beneficiaries, operates within its charitable purposes, has a clear strategic direction, fundraising strategy and regularly reviews major risks.
- Governance - Ensure that the Charity’s governance arrangements work in the most effective way and within all agreed Policies, and that the Board of Trustees’ process is robust and refreshed, as appropriate.
- External Relations - Act as an ambassador and spokesperson for the cause and the Charity, and represent the Charity at external functions, meetings and events.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness - Chair meetings of the Board of Trustees effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision-making process whilst ensuring that decisions are taken in the best, long-term interests of the Charity.
- Relationship with Senior Management Team - Establish and build a strong, effective and supportive working relationship with the SMT, ensuring that they are held to account for achieving agreed Strategic and Business Plan objectives and given the opportunity for professional development. Conduct annual appraisal of the Registered Manager.
What are we looking for?
Skills and qualities required
- A commitment to the aims and objectives of the Society and to promoting it in the interests of residents.
- Proven leadership skills & the ability to balance tact and diplomacy with willingness to challenge and constructively criticise.
- Proven financial acumen & business skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to respect the confidences of colleagues.
- Strategic vision and good, independent judgement.
- An ability to think creatively.
- An understanding of legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- An ability to work effectively as a team, contributing an independent perspective.
- Possess integrity, objectivity, accountability and honesty.
What's in it for the volunteer?
As Chair you will be taking on a challenging and fulfilling role leading a dedicated team of trustees. Volunteers at all levels are vital in helping us provide support, care and friendship for our residents and you will be joining a team of people who truly care about providing a great quality of life for older people.
8/9 Board meetings per year plus the AGM and periodic meetings with The Abbeyfield Society and other Abbeyfield Societies in the district.
The 2020 meetings are scheduled as follows: 13 January, 24 February, 6 April, 11 May, 15 June, 17 August, 21 September, 26 October & 30 November & AGM on 16 March.
The Chair meets regularly with the senior management team and his/her availability to give advice or guidance is appreciated. The Chair is also involved in the recruitment of new/additional Trustees and performs a public-facing figurehead role in promoting and supporting the local Society within Abbeyfield, the local Community and beyond.
The charity’s Chair is expected to serve an initial three-year term, and thereafter may serve two further three-year terms.
How to apply
Applications should be made via Reach Volunteering in the first instance. Please send a CV and cover letter stating why you are interested in applying for the role, how your skills and experience match the person specification, how you can add value to the committee and any other relevant information.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's