|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||October 04, 2019 14:42|
Deadline 07 Oct 2019
Herts Young Homeless (hyh) is a unique charity in Hertfordshire providing services to support vulnerable people.
Our focus is on preventing homelessness - from education in schools and family mediation through to supporting 16-24 year olds in their first homes or caring for adults of all ages who have mental health issues and housing needs.
Our Chairman is retiring at the end of March 2020. We are therefore seeking an effective, inspiring and dynamic Chair of the Board of Trustees to lead hyh through the next phase of our development.
The Chair will hold the Board and Executive Team to account for the Charity’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity. The Chair will also support, and, where appropriate, challenge the Chief Executive and ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely with the Executive of the charity to achieve agreed objectives. He or she will act as an ambassador and the public face of the charity in partnership with the Chief Executive.
The chair will have the chance to help hyh develop further as an organisation and also help hyh continue to support vulnerable young people across Hertfordshire.
What are we looking for?
- Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to the charity, its strategic objectives and cause
- Exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of the charity
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment
- Ability to commit time to conduct the role well
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation
- Successful track record of achievement through their career
- Experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees
- Experience of external representation, delivering presentations and managing stakeholders
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events
Knowledge and skills
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Civil Society sector and current issues affecting it
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate staff and volunteers and bring people together
- Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of charity finance issues
- Good understanding of charity governance issues
Board meetings are held in the evening approximately 5 times a year, usually at the organisation’s head office.
In addition to chairing the main Board meetings, the Chair has the right to attend the three sub-committees, which all meet quarterly, in office hours.
Deadline for applications: 7th October 2019
Interviews: It is anticipated that interviews will take place on w/c 21st October 2019 for shortlisted candidates.
Start date: The successful candidate will join the Board of Trustees in November 2019 and take over as Chair from 31st March 2020.
How to apply
To apply for this opportunity please send your CV plus a supporting statement outlining your motivation for the role, and what you believe you will bring to hyh. Please also include the details for two referees. This position is subject to a satisfactory Disclosure of Baring Service (DBS) check.