18 days ago
Reach Volunteering are working with JCWI Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants who are seeking a new Chair of Trustees.
About the organisation
For over half a century, JCWI has been leading the fight for a fairer, more just immigration system, with a track record of creating change. We're looking for a new chair to help lead a dynamic board and a growing organisation.
Our organisation has gone through an exciting period of growth and change and, as our Chair prepares to retire, our Chief Executive and our amazing Executive Committee (our board of trustees) are looking for somebody with a commitment to our values who can help us secure our long-term sustainability and impact. The Chair will help shape our priorities, support our Chief Executive and ensure that our board is working effectively to identify and manage risks and to create and take advantage of opportunities.
This is a great opportunity for the right person to get involved with a dynamic, high-profile organisation, to be an ambassador for our values and our campaigns and to work with a team that punches far above its weight, delivering real impact and lasting change and shaping our national conversations about migration, race and justice.
JCWI is seeking to appoint a Chair to lead our Executive Committee (our board of trustees) and work with the Chief Executive to steer the organisation through an exciting period of growth, impact and organisational development.
The duties of the Chair include:
- Providing leadership to the board by ensuring that everyone remains focused on the delivery of the organisation’s charitable purposes;
- Chairing and facilitating board meetings;
- Giving direction to board policy-making;
- Checking that decisions taken at meetings are implemented;
- Representing the organisation at functions and meetings, and acting as a spokesperson where appropriate;
- Bringing impartiality and objectivity to decision-making;
- Working with the Vice Chair and the Chief Executive:
- Planning the annual cycle of board meetings and the annual general meeting;
- Overseeing the development of trustees through induction, training, appraisal and succession planning;
- Liaising with the chief executive to keep an overview of the organisation’s affairs and to provide support and guidance where appropriate;
- Leading the process of supporting & appraising the performance of the chief executive;
- Sitting on appointment (for senior management roles) and disciplinary panels.
- Being an ambassador for the organisation, including acting as a spokesperson with key partners, funders, government and the media.
We're looking for an experienced leader, with a strategic focus and a strong commitment to our values of openness, justice and equality. Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- Commitment to justice, equality and rights and an understanding of the challenges faced by those who migrate;
- Senior leadership or management experience in a civil society organisation;
- Experience working with or on committees;
- Sound knowledge of charity governance and of the duties and responsibilities of a trustee, as well as an understanding of the financial and legal regulation frameworks within which charities exist and operate;
- Commitment to diversity, including the ability to understand and appreciate others' perspectives, while acting collaboratively and diplomatically;
- Ability to think strategically, balancing the need for detail and nuance with the need for a broad, bold vision of justice and impact;
- Impartiality, fairness, sound judgement and personal integrity;
- Excellent communication skills;
- JCWI particularly welcomes applications from individuals with direct lived experience of migration and asylum.
How to apply
Please send your CV and supporting statement via Reach Volunteering. Deadline: 30/09/2019.