6 days ago
Guts UK Charity
Application deadline: 1st Feb 2020
Guts UK has embarked upon an ambitious journey of transformation and growth. Transitioning from an inward looking research-based organisation to a public facing repository of knowledge, a network of experts and a proactive community, Guts UK aims to become the central charity and research organisation promoting and educating the public about the importance of a healthy gut.
Whilst the current trustees are dedicated experts in their field, in order to succeed with our ambitious plans, Guts UK now needs more balance in terms of business development and income generation skills.
We’re recruiting for a Business Development Trustee, to assist the Board to develop a corporate relationship strategy and to build links with charities, public sector bodies, academic institutions, companies and businesses to help achieve Guts UK’s Mission.
As with most charities in the current financial climate, income generation poses a challenge to Guts UK. Whilst the organisation is in a strong position financially, our plans for growth and development will require us to look carefully at our business model. As with most charities, we are interested in developing new avenues of funding through grant-giving organisations and high-net worth donors, however, we are equally keen to explore the possibilities presented by corporate engagement, partnerships and collaborations. For this reason, we are looking for someone who can see the bigger picture when it comes to income generation.
The business development trustee will play an important, entrepreneurial role within the trustee board, scoping out opportunity and seeking to make connections between Guts UK and other public, private, charitable and academic organisations.
To assist the Board to develop a corporate relationship strategy and to build links with charities, public sector bodies, academic institutions, companies and businesses to help achieve Guts UK’s Mission.
- To assist the Board and senior staff in developing a fundraising and income generation strategy and action plan.
- To oversee ideas and areas for corporate and business support to Guts UK.
- To develop a complete picture of possible sources of income available to Guts UK and to prioritise and develop ways in which to secure funding.
- To strategically assess where corporate and business fits into the overall organisation strategy and to work with senior staff to ensure effective partnership activities are achieved.
- To contribute knowledge of businesses and companies to Guts UK activities.
- To develop contacts with businesses, companies and grant giving organisations to assist fundraising and income generation.
- To make the ‘business case’ for companies and businesses to partner with Guts UK.
- To identify proposals for business and company partnerships in conjunction with senior staff.
- To network on behalf of the charity to solicit sponsorship, funds and resources on a peer to peer basis.
- To be an active champion of the organisation.
A background in any of the following areas: - Corporate Social Responsibility, Corporate Partnerships, Company Sponsorships, Business Development, Enterprise, Change Management, Fundraising, Bid Writing, High Net-worth donors.
- A good understanding of business and companies and how they can support charitable activities.
- A good understanding of sponsorship and other resource generation opportunities and business development.
- Good experience and knowledge of corporate and business partnerships with charities and/or social enterprise business development background and/or having run a medium size business.
- An understanding of the challenges facing small to medium UK charities in making links with donors, businesses and companies.
- Experience at senior level in having run a successful business and demonstrable entrepreneurial expertise.
- Excellent networking, influencing and communication skills.
- High level knowledge and contacts within business.
- Knowledge of the charity and voluntary sector and/or social enterprise.
- An understanding of the UK charity sector, good governance, Charity Commission, Companies House requirements, relevant legislations and statutory requirements.
Impact of the role
Our mission is to expose and address the stigma surrounding digestive health whilst educating and informing the public on the importance of the issue. We believe that there are many organisations and companies whose corporate aims could dove-tail with this mission. We aim to transform Guts UK into the leading gastric health charity in the sector but we can’t do this without the financial and strategic support of key partners. These may include corporate, academic institutions, other charities and public entities all of which need to be engaged tactfully. Given the context of reducing NHS and Local Council support due to budgetary constraints, the business development trustee will work closely with the digital and marketing trustees to ensure that our income generation strategy is holistic and carefully considered.
What’s in it for the volunteer
A huge part of our challenge will be finding the best ways to finance and develop our new outward facing approach. Much of our success will rest on being able to secure a strong backbone of sustainable, core funding with which we can develop our website, create additional capacity to deliver and to scale up our impact. The business development trustee will be at the heart of this process, leveraging their expertise and connections for a fantastic cause. In addition to this, you will work with a committed board of trustees and an enthusiastic CEO with a strong fundraising and marketing background, all of whom are committed to driving change in this little understood and severely underfunded area of health care.