WOT - CA
17 days ago
Wandsworth Oasis is a community based charity established in 1989 to raise funds for HIV Support and Prevention projects across London, currently with a focus on SW London. The majority of funds are raised through its chain of 9 charity shops in the boroughs of Wandsworth (7) and Lambeth (2) with a small amount raised through challenge and community fundraising events. The charity has grown rapidly over the last 5 years and is now subject to audit. The Treasurer works closely with the Head of Finance & Support Services and Chief Executive and the rest of the Board of Trustees.
More information on the charity can be found on www.wandsworthoasis.org.uk
There is no financial remuneration, although expenses may be claimed
The Board of Trustees meets 4 times a year. The Finance, Risk and Audit Committee, chaired by the Treasurer, also meets 4 times a year. A Strategy Away Day usually takes place once a year. Ad hoc support of fundraising events is preferred, but not essential.
To be a Trustee of a charity is an exciting and fulfilling role and provides great value to the charity, especially small charities. The most effective Boards are ones which benefit from individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences, and skillsets. The role of Trustee is to ensure that Wandsworth Oasis fulfils its duty to its beneficiaries and delivers on its vision, mission, and values.
Overall Purpose of Treasurer Role
The Treasurer oversees the financial matters of the charity in line with good practice and in accordance with the governing document and legal requirements, and reports to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals about the financial health of the charity. The Treasurer ensures that effective financial measures, controls, and procedures are put in place, and are appropriate for the charity.
- Overseeing, approving, and presenting budgets, accounts, financial statements, cash flow and other financial reports to the Board of Trustees after discussion with the Head of Finance & Support Services and Chief Executive
- Being assured that the financial resources of the charity meet its present and future needs and within the charity’s objects
- Being instrumental in the development and implementation of appropriate financial, reserves and investment policies
- Liaising with the Head of Finance & Support Services about financial matters
- Ensuring the appropriate accounting controls and procedures are in place and are regularly reviewed
- Advising on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plans
- Attending / Chairing the Finance, Risk and Audit Committee
- Liaising with the charity’s auditors where appropriate
- Keeping the Board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Contributing to the Grants Committee’s work
- Overseeing the charity’s risk management process
- Acting as a counter signatory
- Qualified accountant, with demonstrated commercial awareness and strategic vision
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, charity SORP and impending changes
- Competent IT skills
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders
- Analytical and evaluation skills
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of Trusteeship (please note Wandsworth Oasis has Trustee Liability insurance)
- Willing to act as an ambassador to external bodies and the local community
- Experience of charity fundraising and finance practices (desirable not essential)
- Willingness to visit all Wandsworth Oasis shops from time to time, promoting the values of the charity and acting as an inspirational guide for volunteers and staff