Bewdley Museum Trustee
|Job Title:||Bewdley Museum Trustee|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Job Published:||April 20, 2021 14:57|
Bewdley Museum is based in the centre of Bewdley town and is a Museum serving the whole of Wyre Forest. Entry is free. The role of the Museum is broadly to conserve and display the unique collections of the Wyre Forest area, for the enjoyment of the public.
Help us to establish an Independent Trust at a Local Authority heritage museum in Bewdley working as part of a new board to negotiate and manage the transition.
As a Trustee of Bewdley Museum, you will participate fully as a Board member, agreeing strategies and the business plan, promoting ideas, exercising judgement and taking collective decisions on the full range of strategic responsibilities such as budget setting and monitoring, appointment and dismissal of staff and setting their terms and conditions, building maintenance, collections and disposal policies, contractual arrangements and so on. Throughout you will be generally supporting the aims and objectives of the organisation and complying with charity law and your duties as a trustee.
In terms of generic requirements, all trustees will need to demonstrate:
- Ability to work with fellow trustees contribute to the establishment of the organisation’s strategic direction and goals and to shape, drive and monitor the Museum’s business plan and strategy;
- Ability to evaluate the organisation’s performance on a regular basis;
- Ability to understand, question and act upon financial and other monitoring information, to ensure the financial stability of the organisation;
- Understanding, expertise and/or experience of the governance of an organisation where governance relates to the systems and processes concerned with ensuring the overall direction, effectiveness, supervision and accountability of an organisation;
- Good communication/interpersonal and decision-making skills;
- Understanding and acceptance of legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship;
- Ability to demonstrate a broad understanding of the heritage sector;
- Good independent and commercial judgement;
- Ability to build and foster relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- An ability to work collaboratively and constructively as a member of the board, and to articulate the Board’s agreed position when speaking publicly on behalf of the organisation;
- Ability to represent and act as an ambassador for the charity, promoting the work of the charity externally;
- Ability to commit to the trust for at least the period of the initial appointment.
- Experience of being a trustee of a charity
- Experience of the museum and/or tourism/heritage/cultural sector, whether as an employee, volunteer or director/trustee
- Experience of fund-raising in the not-for-profit sector
- Detailed understanding of Bewdley Museum’s operating environment
- Living in Wyre Forest or nearby
What's in it for the volunteer?
This is an excellent opportunity to be actively involved with a successful heritage museum. You would become part of our small, friendly team and have the opportunity to use your time to build on and develop your skills, make a real difference in establishing a new trust on a successful footing and in developing its role in the future.
The time commitment will be variable. It is anticipated that there will be a need for greater time commitment in the early months.
How to apply
Please apply via the Reach Volunteering site.
You will need to provide: (a) a statement (maximum 2 pages, minimum font size 11) setting out why you are interested in being appointed as a trustee and how your experience and skills meet the role specification; (b) your CV (minimum font size 11) setting out a summary of your educational and professional qualifications, your work experience (whether in paid work or as a volunteer, and if relevant as a company director or charity trustee), and such other information about you as you consider relevant to the role.
Deadline: 30th April 2021