Treasurer & Trustee Board Member for the award-winning and dynamic charity Rewrite
|Job Title:||Treasurer & Trustee Board Member for the award-winning and dynamic charity Rewrite|
|Job Published:||March 28, 2018 14:56|
Rewrite is an award-winning and dynamic registered charity which fights prejudice and injustice by bringing together young people from different backgrounds through the power of drama and creative writing.
Based in London, Rewrite is seeking a Treasurer to join the highly committed and effective Trustee Board. The existing Treasurer is stepping down after a number of years, but will remain a Trustee to support a smooth handover to the new Treasurer.
The Treasurer plays a vital role at the heart of Rewrite. S/he is responsible for:
- Overseeing the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Ensuring proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitoring and reporting on the financial health of the organisation.
- Overseeing the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
The role is multi-faceted and is part of a close-knit team. The Treasurer takes the lead in the following activities:
- Liaise with Rewrite staff (the Director and Project Manager), the Trustee Board and volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Make fellow Trustee Board members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Regularly report the financial position at Trustee Board meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc).
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, ie:
- Cheque signatories and bank account authorisations.
- Purchasing limits.
- Authorise payments to creditors as appropriate.
- Salary payments.
- Pensions, PAYE and NI payments.
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
- Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner.
Rewrite is seeking an energetic, engaged and enthusiastic individual for this voluntary role as Treasurer. The time commitment would be around 4-8 hours per month. The ideal candidate would have:
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management.
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly to non-experts.
- Knowledge and experience of current and fundraising finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations would be helpful.
- All board members are required to undertake a DBS check and references will be sought.
If this role is of interest to you, please get in touch to discuss further.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's