|Job Published:||March 28, 2018 14:56|
To complement our current board, Bristol Energy Network is seeking new directors. We are particularly looking for people who can fill the role of Treasurer. No experience of energy is required.
About Bristol Energy Network
Bristol Energy Network (BEN) (see www.bristolenergynetwork.org) is an umbrella organisation for all community energy groups in Bristol and the surrounding area. Founded in 2010 by a group of energy professionals and activists, the network was designed to share ideas, information and resources and facilitate closer cooperation and collaboration in projects and events between community groups working on sustainable energy issues. The network is a Community Interest Company with over 30 member organisations and is now delivering on initiatives which consolidate and expand upon previous activity.
BEN director role and responsibilities:
- Supporting BEN to achieve its aims and objectives. See here: http://bristolenergynetwork.org/aboutus/about-ben/
- Ensuring the Company functions within its legal and financial requirements.
- Acting as an ambassador for the organisation where necessary
- Offering your views and experience and supporting the strategic direction of the company.
- Using any specific skills, knowledge or experience you have to help the board of directors reach sound decisions.
- Taking part in bi-monthly board meetings, and offering some additional time between meetings.
We are looking for directors with:
- A commitment to the organisation, its values and its objectives (http://bristolenergynetwork.org/aboutus/about-ben/)
- Time to offer to the company.
- Strategic vision and an ability to think creatively.
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- A willingness to accept the legal duties and responsibilities of directorship. (Training available)
- In particular we are looking for people experience of finance (see Treasurer Role below), company secretary work (see Company Secretary Role below), business development, community outreach/engagement, human resources and fundraising
We can offer you…
- The chance to be part of a community interest company at an exciting time in its development, and to have a big impact. Directors are essential to ensuring that BEN remains healthy and sustainable and able to navigate changing times and economic climates.
- The opportunity to be part of our small, dedicated, friendly team.
- The opportunity to make a difference to how Bristol and the wider region moves towards a lower carbon, socially justice energy system.
- Experience of being on a board of Directors, with training and development opportunities.
We are keen to ensure the network is representative of the community it serves, and especially those most affected by energy issues such as fuel poverty. Therefore, we particularly welcome applications from BME communities, older people, disabled people and low-income communities.
Treasurer Role and Responsibilities
This is a key position, playing a major part in supporting BEN. You will be:
- Overseeing the financial affairs of the organisation and ensuring they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Regularly reporting the financial position at committee meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc.) and overseeing the production of financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
- Working closely with BEN staff to ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Carrying out specific financial duties such as; paying of invoices and liaising with our payroll provider.
- Working with staff to oversee the production and approval of BEN’s annual budget at the last meeting of the year.
- Contributing to BEN’s strategy and direction at regular board meetings and relevant subcommittees.
You will lead on financial matters on the Board, supporting non-finance trustees to understand the financial information and understand financial issues well enough to make informed decisions.
To fulfil the Treasurer role we are looking for someone with:
- Experience of finance and accountancy.
- A good understanding of company finance and accounting, including an up to date familiarity of Companies House processes and requirements, and any wider compliance issues affecting Community Interest Companies (we can offer additional training on this for the right person).