Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Chair of Trustees|
|Job Published:||May 18, 2018 15:14|
The Rio Cinema is a much loved institution at the very heart of the Dalston and the wider Hackney community. After some difficult years financially, it is now on a very exciting and positive journey. This is an opportune time for a new Chair to join the Board and build on the excellent work achieved by the current team to ensure that the Rio continues to thrive and remain at the heart of its community.
The Rio currently has 8 Board members, largely from the local community with a range of skills and experience. The successful candidate will not only make a significant contribution to the work of the organisation but will also be joining a friendly and collaborative board who all share a passion for the Rio.
Alongside the key Chair responsibilities such as:
- Effective decision making and relationships.
- Clear strategic direction and a plan to grow the business.
- Good board governance using relevant practical management skills.
- Running Board meetings.
The successful candidate will also play a key role alongside other Board members in addressing the opportunities and challenges of running a not-for-profit organisation.
- Driving the strategy of the Rio as agreed by the Board.
- The introduction of robust board processes.
- Managing relationships with the borough of Hackney (and, potentially, Waltham Forest).
- Ensuring a positive, on-going relationship with the trade union representing some staff (BECTU).
- Working with the Executive Director and his team towards the introduction of the London living wage.
- Acting as an advocate for the Rio.
- Identifying opportunities for further development of the Rio.
- Ensuring career opportunities/expansion for the staff of the Rio.
- Leading fundraising initiatives as and when necessary.
- Previous experience of chairing a charity, an arts/heritage organisation would be desirable.
- Connections into the creative industries.
- A demonstrable appreciation of the values core to the Rio.
- Sufficient time to be able to undertake the tasks outlined above.
- Whilst not necessary to live in the area, some connection to Hackney would be advantageous.
- Some property/architectural experience would also be desirable as the Rio looks to upgrade and maintain the property, perhaps also looking at developing a third screen.
- Previous experience managing consumer-facing businesses would also be attractive.
- Experience of growing and developing senior staff.
This is a pro-bono role. The board currently meets monthly in the evenings. In addition to monthly Board meetings, the Chair would be expected to attend various additional meetings with the Executive Director and/or with stakeholders on an ad-hoc basis. He/she should have some availability during working hours to discuss a range of strategic and operational issues by phone as required. Overall, it is estimated that the time commitment (outside of Board meetings) will be around 1 - 2 days per month in total.
How to Apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. To apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's