|Job Title:||Finance Trustee|
|Job Published:||November 06, 2018 16:55|
North Somerset People First is seeking a Finance Professional with experience in the Charity Sector to join our board. You will provide financial oversight to the board and also support the Business and Finance Manager in their role.
We were recently awarded a considerable amount of funding from both the Lottery and Lloyds Bank which will enable us to grow financially. With this growth it is vital that we have strong governance of our finances in place.
By joining the board at NSPF you will be part of an inclusive and user-led organisation. Your support will help enable us to grow and continue to provide the invaluable support we give to those with learning disabilities across North Somerset. It is an exciting time to join NSPF. Given that we achieved our three year strategy earlier than anticipated we are currently focusing on volunteer recruitment and retention. We will be devising a new strategic plan in September/October which the successful candidate will play an important role in.
Main responsibilities of the Finance Trustee:
- Ensure all strategic plans are financially appraised and budgets are aligned to both short-term and long-term objectives each year.
- Provide support and guidance to the Business and Finance Manager
- Oversee planning/budgeting processes in participation with the Board and constructively challenge where required.
- Suggest alternative scenarios while evaluating strategic plans as a part of the risk management process and as a part of performance and reporting scenarios.
- Create greater transparency and accountability to improve resource allocation and charity’s image by adding specific measures as per SORP guidelines.
- Guide and advise fellow trustees to formally approve the annual report and audited accounts.
- Explain technicalities of accounts in plain language which is fully understood by the trustees.
- Develop reserves policy and safeguard the organisation’s finances.
- Keep the board informed of free reserves position regularly and advise to cope with changing circumstances.
- Lead the Board’s duty to ensure proper accounting records are kept, financial resources are controlled, invested and economically spent in line with governance, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Qualified accountant with demonstrated experience in the charity sector.
- Knowledge of charity SORP and impending changes.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders.
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Dedicated to the organisation’s cause and objectives and willing to act as the charity’s ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
- The board arranges to meet every month, however if there are no pressing matters then they sometimes meet on a bi-monthly basis.
- Meetings last 2 hours.
- In addition to board meetings, the Finance Trustee would also liaise with the Business and Finance Manager on a monthly basis.
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. To apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information. Applications must be emailed to TrusteeWorks.