Audit Committee member
|Job Title:||Audit Committee member|
|Job Published:||May 18, 2018 15:14|
A bit about this role
While hands on roles with cats are central to everything we do at Cats Protection, we also need volunteers to help us be more efficient, effective and to ensure we comply with charity law and governance. The Audit Committee is made up of both Trustee and non- Trustee members. The latter may be members or volunteers for Cats Protection (CP) or entirely independent of CP. Our Audit Committee volunteers contribute to a well-run organisation and their time and expertise helps our committee work in the best, most effective way possible. If you have strategic vision and appreciation that helping cats is much more than meets the eye then this is the role for you.
What can you expect to be doing?
- To proactively engage with the other members of the Audit Committee to effectively carry out the duties and responsibilities of the committee in accordance with the Terms of Reference
- Attend committee meetings, reading papers and otherwise preparing in advance of the meetings, and undertake actions required in the agreed timescales
- Support the Chairman of the Audit Committee
- Keep informed about the activities of the charity and wider issues affecting the charity and the Audit Committee in particular
What are the benefits to you and the cats?
You will develop new skills, expand your knowledge and make a significant contribution to improving the lives of cats and kittens by being a key part of the Cats Protection Audit Committee. You will also meet new people, make new friends and be part of a dedicated team of staff and volunteers.
A commitment to the charity and an empathy with Cats Protection’s vision, mission and values and a powerful advocate of the Charity’s cause.
A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
Sound independent judgement.
Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
Ability and willingness to express views clearly.
Significant experience of the duties and responsibilities of a member of an Audit Committee of a Charity or other sizeable organisation, including risk management, examining systems of control, internal audits, complying with statute and fraud.
- An understanding of the role, duties and responsibilities of the Audit Committee, and an understanding of the topics and issues encompassed by the portfolio of responsibility of the Audit Committee
Knowledge of animal welfare issues.
Knowledge and understanding of the voluntary sector.
- Financial background
Our Audit Committee meets three times a year in London, and our volunteers usually spend a total of three years in this role.
At Cats Protection we believe our volunteers should be happy and confident in their roles. To make sure this is the case, we provide support and guidance both remotely from our National Cat Centre and face to face through our regional and local volunteer groups and teams. We also offer varied online and face to face training and have wide-ranging policies covering all aspects of volunteering. We hope the support we provide will ensure our volunteers have a great experience with Cats Protection.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's