West Midlands Historic Buildings Trust, Worcestershire Buildings Preservation Trust and the City of Wolverhampton Regenerating Buildings Preservation Trust (‘the Trusts’) are a consortium of preservation trusts currently operating with a combined Council of Management (trustees), officers and shared services. The trusts are currently in the process of completing a strategic review which includes moving towards a more resilient management of financial services. To this end a financial support manager has been appointed to oversee the day to day operation of the Trusts accounts and the role of the Honorary Treasurer for the three trusts has been reviewed. The Trusts are now seeking a new trustee to take on this role.
Role Title: Honorary Treasurer
Direct Report: Works closely with the Chair and the Council of Management (trustees).
Background: Finance, Strategy and Governance, Fundraising, Legal, Risk.
The responsibility for the assets, financial management, community benefit, statutory and regulatory compliance and governance is vested in the Council of Management and each trustee.
The Honorary Treasurer, working with the Officers of the Council of Management, is responsible for ensuring the governance arrangements of the Trusts comply with the guidance of the Charity Commission and statutory and regulatory guidance and in particular for ensuring that this guidance is understood in plain terms by all members of Council.
To this end the Treasurer will be required to:
Liaise between the Council of Management and the Trusts Financial Support Manager* on financial issues to ensure that the Trusts finances are responsibly managed for the betterment of the Trust’s work.
Liaise between the Council of Management and the Trusts appointed independent examiners to supervise the completion of annual accounts, and other legally required accounting procedures and ensure they are submitted to all relevant regulators in a timely fashion.
Make regular reports to the Council of Management on financial matters that are required to be considered to ensure that the financial affairs and assets of the Trusts are well managed and understood.
Introduce all such reports by explaining their content and bringing to the notice of the Council of Management the significance of any legislative provisions relating to financial matters and governance.
Advise the Council of Management of external professional advice required in connection with specialist financial matters, changes in regulatory or statutory legislation and guidance, and investments.
Prepare or arrange for the preparation and review of financial standing orders, internal control systems and record systems for approval by the Council of Management.
Advise on and review as required the appointment and specifications for external financial management agreements including day to day accountancy services, independent examiners and independent financial advisors.
- Qualified accountant with demonstrated commercial awareness and knowledge.
- Knowledge of charity SORP and impending changes.
- Competent use of IT skills.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to the Trustees, Members and other stakeholders.
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Dedicated to the Trust’s conservation cause and objectives, and willing to act an ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of charity finance practices.
- Skills and experience in one or more areas of non-executive governance and management e.g. business management, financial/accountancy, experience of Trusts, fundraising and legal knowledge.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
- Attendance at SIX evening meetings of The Council of Management per year.
- Attendance at the Annual General Meeting.
- Liaison with the Financial Support Manager* and independent accounts examiners as required.
- Attendance at other meetings is optional.
- Council of Management meetings are currently held in Stourbridge or Worcester. The AGM is held in Stourbridge.
- The Trusts currently have no office premises.
- The Trusts registered office address is in Kidderminster. Rooms can be made available for meetings here when required.
- The Trusts Financial Support Manager is located in Pendeford, Wolverhampton.
* The Trusts are entering into an agreement with a financial support manager who will provide day to day bookkeeping and accountancy services. The role of honorary treasurer does not involve hands on management of bank accounts, payments and income but oversees the work of others on behalf of the trustees and provides reports, advice and guidance to trustees.
The position is honorary however reasonable expenses associated with the position may be paid subject to agreement.
Further information can be found on the three Trusts web site at: https://www.wmhbt.org.uk/index.html and Facebook pages West Midlands Historic Buildings Trust (WMHBT) and Weavers Cottages.