Accountant - External Finance Trustee
An overview of the Students’ Union’s financial affairs monitoring its financial position and viability. Ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained and all finance related and accounting requirements complied with
Specific duties of the Finance trustee
- Overseeing and approving budgets, quarterly accounts and preparing the annual Report and Financial Statements.
- Attending the Finance subcommittee (and chairing the subcommittee) at its monthly meetings which take place approximately 2 weeks before board meetings, and any other ad hoc meetings that are required.
- Being assured that the financial resources of the Students’ Union meets its present and future needs.
- Ensuring that the Students’ Union has an appropriate reserves policy.
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
- Ensuring the Students’ Union’s compliance with relevant accounting legislation.
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by the Royal College of Arts and the relevant statutory bodies, e.g. the charity commission and that they comply with accounting regulations, both general and those specific to charities.
- Ensuring that the accounts are audited and any recommendations are considered fully and, if appropriate, implemented.
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities.
Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way.