Trustee w/ finance background wanted for North Korean human rights group
Connect: North Korea is a London based organisation working to support the exile community and raise awareness of human rights abuses. Trustees are appointed for a 3 year term. The board is made up of 5 independent trustees who sit with the Director of the organisation at Trustee meetings.
The treasurer will oversee our financial activities and will sit on the Governance & Risk subcommittee.
The role will involve:
- Liaising with the Director to ensure good financial management.
- Reporting to the board on the organisation's financial health.
- Liaising with the organisation’s auditors or independent examiner, when appropriate.
- Monitoring and advising on the financial viability of the organisation.
- Working with the Director to implement financial controls and procedures for the control of the organisation's assets.
- Working with the Director to ensuring that the organisation’s annual accounts are compliant with legal and funding requirements.
- Ensuring expenditure is in line with the organisation’s objectives.
- Working with the Director to develop budgets in-keeping with fundraising strategies.
We are ideally looking for someone with no less than 3 years of relevant accounting experience
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Provides guidance for the organisation within a framework of prudent and effective controls which enable risk to be assessed and managed
- As part of the board sets the organisation’s strategic aims, ensures that the necessary financial and human resources are in place for the organisation to meet its objectives.
- Sets the organisation’s values and standards and ensure that its obligations to its stakeholders are understood and met
- Ensures that effective Governance and control procedures are in place within the organisation
- Strategy: trustees should constructively challenge and help develop proposals on strategy;
- Performance: trustees should scrutinise the performance of the organization in meeting agreed goals and objectives and monitor the reporting of performance;
- Risk: Trustees should satisfy themselves that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and defensible;
- Trustees are expected to lead or sit on one or more of the board sub committees (e.g. Communication & Fundraising, Governance & Risk)
GENERAL PERSON SPECIFICATION
1. Evidence of experience working in a comparable role, with an understanding and cultural affinity with the organisation’s aims
2. Ability to deal with multiple stakeholders with at times contradictory agendas.
3. Sufficient time to dedicate to the organisation's activities, probably with an existing portfolio of work.
4. Ability to chair committees and be familiar with mentoring skills.
5. Commitment to charitable activity
Reports to: Is part of the Connect: North Korea's Board and ultimately reports to the Chair
Line Reports: None
Meetings are in London on a roughly 12 week cycle. They last for approximately 2 hours at a time. Additionally all Trustees would be expected to sit on one of the board sub committees (Fundraising and Communication, Governance and Risk). These sub committees meet for 2 hours between board meetings. As we are a small team there is an expectation of involvement between meetings.
Application is via CV and cover letter to Robin Walker, Chair of Connect: North Korea.