Secretary / Administrator
3 or more
CEN Office, Brixton, London
The Communities Empowerment Network (CEN) was founded in 1999 and provides advice, support and representation for parents and their child who has either been excluded from school or is experiencing problems likely to lead to a permanent exclusion/academic failure. 95% of the CEN’s clients are African and African-Caribbean. The CEN provides training in Education Advocacy with the aim of successfully and swiftly reintegrating excluded pupils back into full- time mainstream education either in the excluding school or at a new school in order to retain those vulnerable pupils in the mainstream where possible.
The Parents Empowerment Network (PEN) project is a 3 years funded project the aim of which is to deliver empowering solutions to parents who are facing issues around their children's education by delivering the following activities:
- Targeting and supporting those who are at risk of permanent exclusion and reintegrating already excluded children back into mainstream education though the advice, support and representation;
- Training, educating and empowering parents across London and beyond to act as advocates in their own communities, spreading their knowledge and supporting other parents (i.e. parents empowered to run their own parent meet-ups to share experiences and build networks).
- The creation of an on-line parent portal as part of the CEN website and linked to our CRM, supported by a Parent Engagement Officer to provide the parent-network interface, providing ongoing support, training and signposting for parents, grow and manage CEN's social media channels, and design and deliver content for the website and the on-line parent portal.
- Engaging with organisations across London and beyond, delivering training and systems support to provide the foundations for a national network of coordinated action for parents (e.g. data collection around exclusions is fragmented so we aim to work with partners to offer the use of our dedicated national casework CRM platform).
The post holder will play an important role in the day to day administration function and support of the office principal responsibilities include:
- To provide a comprehensive, efficient and effective administrative service to the CEN team, Director and Project Coordinator supporting, marketing and promoting the delivery and services of the communities’ empowerment network.
- To provide a prompt, high quality customer focused service acting as the first point of contact for all telephone, written, electronic and face to face enquiries demonstrating compassion and understanding throughout.
- Set up and optimize company pages within each platform to increase the visibility of company’s social media content
- Ensure office facilities, amenities and supplies are kept up to date, stocked and accounted for at all times.
Though not exhaustive, the main duties are as follows:
- To handle and direct calls to the correct area of expertise whilst showing compassion and understanding to the sensitive issues at hand.
- Grow and manage CEN's social media channels, design and share content for the CEN website and on-line parent portal;
- Giving information about services we provide and capturing details of the exclusion (e.g period of exclusion, school, name, age etc)
- To collate new client information and update existing data and ensure its input on the CEN database Salesforce.
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video or HTML) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action.
- To provide administrative support to the team and management including word processing, spreadsheets, filing, copying, scanning, typing and other general administration.
- Scheduling and attending meetings, creating agendas and taking minutes - shorthand may be required.
- Keeping diaries and arranging appointments and organising travel for staff and volunteers.
- Ordering and maintaining stationery and equipment, sorting and distributing incoming post and organising and sending outgoing post