Mankind is a charity based in Hove, East Sussex, whose sole purpose is the delivery, through a varied programme of face-to-face, group and online service, of therapeutic support to men who have experienced sexual abuse at any time in their lives.
Mankind has been in existence for 17 years and is now recognised as the premier agency of its kind for men in the South East. Our evaluation systems consistently demonstrate both the clinical need for, and the positive psychological impact of, the services we provide.
We are a financially robust organisation; however, we face real challenges in continuing to meet demand and delivering positive results as effectively as possible, and we are entering into an exciting period of change as an organisation.
Mankind is currently seeking to recruit a number of new trustees in order to augment the current Board. As part of this, we specifically wish to recruit a Treasurer to relieve the demands on the Chair of Trustees who is currently covering this role.
What are we looking for?
First and foremost, for a high-calibre individual who will help strengthen the decision-making processes of the charity. We welcome diversity in all respects; in particular, given the nature of our charity we feel that maintaining a mixed-gender board is important. Previous experience as a trustee is helpful but not essential; what is essential is an interest in good governance. As a trustee, your primary responsibilities would include:
- Ensuring that Mankind UK complies at all times with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other regulation or regulations.
- Ensuring the Mankind UK pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- Maintaining proper financial control and ensuring that Mankind UK applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its charitable objects.
- Representing the interests of the charity’s users and beneficiaries.
- Helping to set and maintain vision, mission and values for the charity.
- Helping to formulate and review our strategic plans.
- Helping to ensure accountability whilst supporting the operational management of the organisation.
In addition to the above, the Treasurer's specific responsibilities include:
- Guiding and advising the Board in the approval of budgets, accounts and financial statements, in accordance with Mankind’s agreed Financial Procedures.
- Monitoring management’s adherence to the charity’s agreed Financial Procedures.
- Advising the Board on the financial implications of Mankind’s strategic plans and keeping the Board informed of its financial duties and responsibilities.
- Confirming that the financial resources of Mankind meet present and future needs.
- Ensuring the accounts are properly audited/examined, and formally presenting the accounts to the AGM.
The basic time commitment for trustees will be attendance at 6 board meetings per annum. Board meetings take place bi-monthly, generally on a Wednesday evening 6:30-8:30pm at Mankind’s offices in Hove. Board papers are issued approximately a week in advance. The role is unpaid but reasonable travelling and other out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed.
In addition to regular Board meetings, trustees are asked to attend 1-2 strategy days (10am-3pm) each year. These are held on a Saturday or Sunday, at Mankind’s offices in Hove.
The Treasurer’s additional responsibilities will require a further time commitment. Generally, this should be limited to monthly meetings/discussions with the CEO and Chair of Trustees, but will require more investment of time around the preparation of the annual budget and examination of the annual financial statements.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Commitment to the organisation
- Strong financial experience (not necessarily as a trained accountant)
- Willingness to commit the necessary time and effort
- Strategic vision
- Good, independent judgement
- Ability to think creatively
- Willingness to speak their mind
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
More roles like this
- Evenings Strategic planning/development Social welfare Board and committee roles in Hove
- Evenings Strategic planning/development Social welfare Trustee/board member roles in Hove
- Evenings Strategic planning/development Social welfare Finance roles in Hove
- Evenings Strategic planning/development Social welfare Treasurer roles in Hove